Slip, Trip & Fall Accidents at Work

The last set of HSE accident at work statistics for 2017/2018, revealed that  31% of all non-fatal accidents reported to the HSE during the year 2017-2018 were caused by workers injuring themselves by, for example;

  • Slipping on oil that has been left on a workshop floor
  • Falling on a poorly lit staircase
  • Tripping over an electrical cable that has been left strewn across a walkway, when it shouldn’t have been

If a building site worker suffers personal injury whilst at work and it is as a result of the employer failing in their duty of care to their employee, then the injured worker can make a building site accident compensation claim against their employer.

Man being helped by colleagues following an injury from a slip trip or fall in a warehouseIt is important to note that you do not have to have to be an employed person to make a claim following a building site accident. Contractors, agents and other self-employed workers can still make a claim. If you were working on the site, then you are entitled to the same duty of care from the site owners/ main contractors, as ‘employed’ workers.

If this has happened to you or a loved one (within the last 3 years) call Mooneerams on 029 2048 3615 and one of our highly experienced personal injury solicitors will help you to make a No Win, No Fee building site accident claim.

Whilst it is accurate to say that all types of work accident are avoidable, slip, trip and fall accidents are perhaps the easiest to prevent. Nevertheless, as the HSE statistics show, they are the most common types.

In the case of slip, trip and falls, sometimes the accident may have occurred as a result of an injured worker’s fellow employee having, for example;

  • Caused a spillage of a slippery liquid onto the factory floor and then failed to ensure it is cleaned up promptly
  • Left the bottom drawer of their desk or file drawer open
  • Failed to put away work tools

If you are injured as a result of a slip, trip or fall accident that has been caused by the carelessness of one of your colleagues, then your employer is likely to still be held responsible for the accident and therefore liable to compensate you if you make a claim for slip, trip or fall compensation.

This is because your employer will be held responsible for the actions (something your colleague did, that they shouldn’t have done), or omissions (something that your work colleague didn’t do but should have done) of your fellow worker. This is known as vicarious liability.

Other types of slip, trip or fall accidents may directly be the fault of the employer such as;

  • You are injured in falling from a chair, after you’ve been asked to get something from a high up storage area, without being provided with a ladder or other suitable means of accessing the storage space.
  • You slip over and hurt yourself as a result of not being provided with satisfactory footwear e.g. in a factory or workshop setting
  • You fall downstairs and injure yourself because you stumble on a badly maintained step on the staircase.
  • You trip on a frayed or lifted office carpet and in falling over, injure yourself

Top tip from Angus Fergusson

What types of Injury can I claim for as a result of a Slip, Trip or Fall at Work?

These can range from the fairly minor, such as cuts and, bruises, through to whiplash injuries (as a result of banging your head on the floor after falling), back injuries and then more serious injuries such as broken bones or even brain injury eg if your head hits the floor with considerable floor after falling down a set of stairs.

There is no set or standard type of injury following these types of accident. For example, a back injury caused by slipping on oil on the floor could result in a slight back strain or it could result in a serious spinal fracture. Whatever type of injury you suffer as a result of a slip, trip or fall accident at work, if your employer was at fault for the accident, then you will be able to make an accident at work compensation claim. Simply contact Mooneerams accident at work solicitors on 029 2048 3615 or contact us online

Do I need to report a slip, trip or fall accident at work to my employer?

You should report the incident to your employer as soon as possible after the accident has happened so that it is properly logged in the accident book. Try and ensure that they do this when you report the accident to them. If you are able to, take some photos of where the accident happened as soon as possible. Take a note and the name of any witnesses to the accident.

Should I go to see a doctor, even if my injury doesn’t seem too serious?

Yes, absolutely. Firstly, immediately after the accident, you may be in shock and as a result are anxious to downplay the nature of the injury. For example, if you banged your head on the floor after tripping over something that has been left in your path on the floor, you may think that you just have some minor bruising, or a slight neck strain. It may be just that, in which case your doctor will confirm that is the case. However, what you believe may be a minor bump to the head may in fact be something more serious such as concussion, which your doctor will want to keep an eye on, or in severe cases you may have suffered a more serious head injury such as a traumatic brain injury. Try and ensure that you get to see your doctor or visit A&E at the local hospital as soon as possible after the accident.

slip and fall accident at work report

What should I do next?

Contact Mooneerams on 029 2048 3615. We are experts in slip, trip and fall accident at work compensation claims. We are specialist personal injury solicitors and we only act on behalf of claimants – never for employers or their insurance companies. Call us now on 029 2048 3615 or contact us online

Make sure that you claim within three years of the date of your accident otherwise in most circumstances, you will be too late to bring a claim.

Meet The Mooneerams Team

Our friendly, expert personal injury solicitors are here to help you