If you have been injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you are usually entitled to compensation, whether the other driver is insured or not.

If the other driver is uninsured, the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB) will step in and act as their insurance company. (You still need to prove the accident was the fault of the uninsured driver).

The MIB covers most types of road traffic accidents, including car accidents, cycling accidents and pedestrian accidents.

You are entitled to claim the same amount of compensation you would have received had the driver been insured, and your case will proceed in the same way. However, the MIB has a set of rules you must follow in the aftermath of your accident. They’re not particularly onerous, but the MIB may refuse to pay you compensation if you don’t comply. You can read more here.